I have been surpised in the past few months by how many people find out I’m a yoga teacher. It comes up in conversation much more than I had expected.
I have told co-workers, grocery story cashiers, my dental hygienist, the woman who put me under for my wisdom teeth extraction, one of the VPs of the company I work for, etc, etc, all without necessarily meaning to. I have experienced a wide variety of responses to the conversation.
Here are some I’ve heard more than once:
- Oh, yoga, my wife does that.
- I used to do yoga but I stopped.
- Yoga, huh? Would that stop my back from hurting?
- I’m not flexible enough to do yoga.
- So can you put your foot behind your head?
- I’m too arthritic to do yoga.
- I don’t like hippies.
- Would that help me with my balance?
- Does that make you more coordinated?
- In high school I could stand on my head.
- I’m too old for that.
- I hate the yoga parts of P90X.
- So is that like pilates?
- If I come to your class, you’re not going to take photos of me, are you?
- So I guess you’re a vegetarian then.
- Have you gone to India?
And here are a few unique responses that I especially loved:
- My wife does yoga in the living room with a DVD, and I poke her and try to make her fall over. She gets mad at me.
- I went to a yoga class once and I had to leave the room to throw up.
- I’m not putting on spandex and bending in those positions in front of people.
And today I got this one, which was a first:
No wonder you’re so calm and centered.
I guess my life’s work is complete : )
Namaste, and happy weekend. What do people say when they find out you’re a yogi/ni?